The temple town of Ayodhya witnessed a historic moment on Monday today as the new Ram Lalla idol was consecrated at the newly constructed temple, amidst grand celebrations and religious fervour. Prime Minister Narendra Modi played a pivotal role in the rituals, marking a significant day in the cultural and spiritual history of India.
Ayodhya Ram Mandir Inauguration, PM Modi speech LIVE Updates: ‘Our Ram Lalla will not live in tent anymore’, says PM Modi while addressing the nation from Ram Temple in Ayodhya after Pran Pratishtha.
Upon his arrival, the Prime Minister entered the temple premises carrying a silver ‘chattar’ (umbrella) atop a red folded dupatta, symbolizing reverence and honor. Dressed in a traditional golden kurta, cream dhoti, and patka, PM Modi took a ‘sankalp’ or vow for the “pran pratishtha ceremony,” a ritual that breathes life into the deity’s idol, before proceeding to the sanctum sanctorum to partake in the consecration rituals.
The ceremony was graced by the presence of several dignitaries, including RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat, Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel, and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. These leaders were present inside the sanctum sanctorum, participating in the historic and religiously significant event.
In a spectacular display of devotion and celebration, army helicopters adorned the sky, showering flower petals over the temple premises during the consecration. This act not only added to the grandeur of the occasion but also symbolized the nation’s collective reverence and joy for this momentous event.
The consecration of the new Ram Lalla idol in the majestic temple signifies more than just a religious ceremony; it represents the culmination of years of anticipation and devotion for millions of believers. The event has drawn attention from across the nation, uniting people in a common thread of cultural and spiritual celebration. The grandeur of the celebrations in Ayodhya and the involvement of top national leaders underscore the profound importance of this event in the tapestry of India’s rich heritage.
14:35 (IST) Jan 22
Ayodhya Ram Mandir Inauguration, PM Modi speech live: PM Modi expresses gratitude to Indian Judiciary for resolving decades-long legal battle over Lord Ram’s existence
In a moment of acknowledgment and gratitude, Prime Minister Narendra Modi thanked the Indian judiciary for its role in resolving the protracted legal battle over the existence of Lord Ram. The legal dispute, which spanned several decades, revolved around the historicity of Lord Ram and the rightful ownership of the land in Ayodhya where the Ram Janmabhoomi temple now stands.
Addressing the nation during the consecration ceremony of the Ram temple in Ayodhya, PM Modi expressed his appreciation for the judiciary’s impartiality and commitment to justice. He stated, “The legal battle over the existence of Lord Ram went on for decades. I would like to express my gratitude to the judiciary of India for doing justice.”
This recognition underscores the significance of the legal process in resolving complex and emotionally charged disputes, especially those with deep cultural and religious implications. The judiciary played a pivotal role in carefully examining the evidence, hearing arguments from various parties, and ultimately delivering a verdict that paved the way for the construction of the Ram temple.
14:25 (IST) Jan 22
Ayodhya Ram Mandir Inauguration live: Chronology of events in Ram temple issue
The new Ram Lalla idol was consecrated at the Ayodhya temple on Monday, an event led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and watched by lakhs of people on television at their homes and in temples across the country.
The following is the chronology of events in the Ayodhya Ram temple issue:
* 1528: Babri Masjid built by Mir Baqi, commander of Mughal emperor Babur.
* 1885: Mahant Raghubir Das files plea in Faizabad district court, seeking permission to build a canopy outside the disputed structure. Court rejects the plea.
* 1949: Idols of Ram Lalla placed under central dome outside the disputed structure.
* Feb 1, 1986: Local court orders the government to open the site for Hindu worshippers.
* Aug 14, 1989: Allahabad HC orders maintenance of status quo in respect of the disputed structure.
* Dec 6, 1992: The 16th century Babri mosque, which many Hindus believe was constructed on the site of Lord Ram’s birthplace, was demolished by ‘kar sevaks’.
* Apr 3, 1993: ‘Acquisition of Certain Area at Ayodhya Act’ passed for acquiring land by Centre in the disputed area.
* Apr 2002: Allahabad High Court begins hearing on determining who owns the disputed site.
* Sep 30, 2010: High Court, in a 2:1 majority, rules three-way division of disputed area between Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.
* May 9, 2011: Supreme Court stays high court verdict on Ayodhya land dispute.
* Jan 2019: Supreme Court sets up a five-judge Constitution bench to hear the case.
* Aug 6, 2019: Supreme Court commences day-to-day hearing on the land dispute.
* Oct 16, 2019: Supreme Court concludes hearing; reserves order.
* Nov 9, 2019: In a historic verdict, Supreme Court grants entire 2.77 acre of disputed land in Ayodhya to deity Ram Lalla, possession of land will remain with Central government receiver.
The apex court also directed the Centre and the UP government to allot 5 acres od land to Muslims at a prominent place for building a mosque.
* Feb 5, 2020: PM Narendra Modi announced in Lok Sabha the formation of a trust to construct a Ram temple in Ayodhya.
* Aug 5, 2020: PM Modi laid the foundation of a Ram temple.