Taylor Swift had a night to remember at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards, walking away with an impressive nine awards out of the eleven categories she was nominated for. This achievement ties her with the record for the most wins in a single night. With these victories, Swift now boasts 23 VMA wins, shy of Beyoncé’s record of 26.
The pop sensation took home the prestigious Video of the Year award for her hit “Anti-Hero,” expressing her gratitude for fan support, saying, “This is unbelievable. I just want to say that the fact that this is a fan-voted award means so much to me.” She also thanked her fans for the memories made during her ongoing tour.
Swift’s impressive awards included Album of the Year for “Midnights,” Artist of the Year, Song of the Year for “Anti-Hero,” and Best Pop, among others. Notably, this is the second consecutive year she has claimed the Video of the Year honor, having won in 2022 for “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version).”
Other notable winners during the evening included Shakira, who received the Video Vanguard Award and won Best Collaboration alongside Karol G for “TQG.” Brazilian singer Anitta secured the Best Latin award for “Funk Rave,” Ice Spice was named Best New Artist, and Nicki Minaj took home the Best Hip-Hop trophy for “Super Freaky Girl.”
In addition to the awards, the evening featured electrifying performances from top artists like Olivia Rodrigo, Nicki Minaj, Fall Out Boy, Cardi B, and Megan Thee Stallion, who performed their new single, “Bongos,” for the first time.
Towards the show’s end, music legends Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, LL Cool J, and DMC celebrated 50 years of hip-hop with a timeless medley.
The event also witnessed a surprise reunion of all five members of NSYNC, including Justin Timberlake, who presented the award for Best Pop.
The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards were held at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, and undoubtedly, Taylor Swift emerged as the star of the night with her phenomenal wins and heartfelt gratitude to her fans.
Complete list of winners of the 2023 MTV VMAs:
- Video of the Year: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Song of the Year: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Album of the Year: Taylor Swift – Midnights
- Artist of the Year: Taylor Swift
- Group of the Year: BLACKPINK
- Best New Artist: Ice Spice
- Best Collaboration: TQG – Karol G and Shakira
- Best Pop: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Best Hip-Hop: Nicki Minaj – Super Freaky Girl
- Best R&B: SZA – Shirt
- Best Alternative: Lana Del Rey ft. Jon Batiste – Candy Necklace
- Best Rock: Maneskin – The Loneliest
- Best Latin: Anitta – Funk Rave
- Best K-Pop: Stray Kids – S-Class
- Best Afrobeats: Rema & Selena Gomez – Calm Down
- Show of the Summer: Taylor Swift
- Song of the Summer: Jung Kook ft. Latto – Seven
- Video for Good: Dove Cameron – Breakfast
- Best Direction: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Best Art Direction: Doja Cat – Attention
- Best Cinematography: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Best Visual Effects: Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero
- Best Choreography: BLACKPINK – Black Venom
- Best Editing: Olivia Rodrigo – Vampire
- Video Vanguard: Shakira
- Global Icon: Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs