Today, YouTube is the largest platform for any artist to create viral content and gaining fame. For that very purpose, it is essential to know exactly how YouTube optimization for musicians can be helpful for being a successful music artist.
YouTube was born on 14th February 2005 and has grown rapidly since then. Every minute, more and more people around the world connect to the second-largest search engine in the world. People are also simultaneously uploading 400 hours of video footage on an average, every minute, to YouTube. Additionally, 1 billion hours of video content is being watched on YouTube every day. Furthermore, it has also ranked as the second-most popular sites, in 2018. Its founders are Steve Chen, Chad Hurley, Jawed Karim. Its parent since 2006 is Google.
Setting up a YouTube channel brings all your music videos together under one roof for viewership. Just uploading videos will not be enough, having great YouTube content ideas for musician is also equally important to grow your YouTube channel and increase your fan base. This also allows you to customize your channel with display and cover pictures. The channel includes an ‘About’ section to provide a short description of yourself, your music, why you chose it and perhaps a little history about your musical journey. Link to your website and provide contact details there.
When people subscribe to your channel, they will find your videos listed on their YouTube homepage when they log in.
Creation of ‘playlists’ within your channel to organizes your videos by type of music genres.
It is an analytic and reporting tool that functions on self-service. It calculates data about each video you upload, so you can easily keep a tab on the views it gets, where people are coming from to view it and the type of people watching it.
YouTube incorporates features that let you earn with your videos when you promote them, or it goes viral.
Advertisers pay each time someone views their ad running on your video. It’s up to you to choose its format, the location of the ad, and even how much you pay per view (if you want to boost the prominence of your ad over your competitors). YouTube’s advertising guide explains how it exactly works.
How to earn from YouTube?
No one becomes a YouTube sensation overnight. It takes a lot of efforts and is time-consuming. Here are some pro tips on how YouTube Optimization for musician enhances monetization.
- First and foremost, it is important to find a niche for your channel. Choose between the kind of music you want to produce, be it, instrumental, EDM, Sufi, Acoustic, Acapella, or whatever interests you. For example, visit this young musician Shraddha Sharma.
- Link your YouTube channel with AdSense and enable monetization
- Use good devices for recording your video. Nowadays, smartphones have good enough cameras which will save you money initially. But it is always better to invest in a good professional videographer who can edit as well. Or, you may as well get yourself a camera and shoot your own videos, ask for a friend’s help maybe.
- Use good tools for editing your video. If you cannot edit them yourselves, you can find freelance editors or get a friend who can, to help you out.
- Increase your social presence on other social platforms and let people around you know what you’re up to.
- Use online platforms like Reddit, Quora, Myspace, etc. to enhance your viewership (over-time) by answering music-related queries and then re-directing them to your YouTube channel.
We came across this very beautifully explained blog on earning money through YouTube. You must have a look here. Also, read our blog How to make money as a musician?
Tips for YouTube optimization for Musicians
Branding Your Channel
- As stated above, it is essential to find a niche for your channel. Choose between the kind of music you want to produce, be it, instrumental, EDM, Sufi, Acoustic, Acapella, or whatever interests you. For example, visit this young musician Shraddha Sharma. Advertisement
- Then, design a customized channel art to display your branding.
- Upload a good quality display and cover photo on your channel to enhance your branding.
- Show your presence on Social media platforms and cross-promote your channel by linking one to another.
- You may also want to customize the colors on your channel to match your brand/website.
- Thumbnail is the visual description people will first see first when you share your video. An attractive image will compel people to click and view. YouTube has 3 thumbnails to choose from. if and when your channel is verified, you may as well upload a tailor-made thumbnail.
- Be specific about your Call to Action. Whether it be ‘visit the website’, ‘listen to you on Soundcloud or Spotify’, or ‘to subscribe and press the bell icon’. Don’t over-do the CTA option, it may confuse your audience.
Optimize Your Uploads
- Add a title, description, tags (limit to about 5, use the most relevant ones first), and pick an appropriate category (most likely “Music”) for your videos. These are the most significant bits for SEO purposes.
- A headline is important for SEO space. Include the proper keywords to target and rank for. Be sure of the relevance of the title to the content. Include the song title, artist’s name (using the word “cover” is beneficial), and your name (if an original composition). The chances that people are actually searching for you specifically is low until they’ve heard you first. So, make yourself discoverable.
- Use the description field to link up to your website and other related links (where they can buy your song, album, etc.). The link to your website should include the “http://” portion and be on the first line of the description.
- Add a reasonable descriptive text with details outlining your video. The description may be secondary to the title. Search engines will use that information to index your content.
- If you’re blogging about music then Tags are further important search-tools used to categorize different posts based on the content. Relevant tags for musicians might include things pertaining to genres, musical style, artist name, record label, and similar others.
- Use liking, commenting, subscribing and sharing capabilities of YouTube on a routine basis to enhance your visibility.
- Subscribing to similar channels will cause you to pop up on other people’s radars more often. Contemporaries may want to check out your channel.
- Collaborating with contemporaries would get you a good deal of visibility.
- Categorize videos you have on your channel using Playlists. For example, live performance, music videos, acoustic covers, tour diaries, Acapella, etc.
- Take advantage of the descriptive text fields provided while indexing your videos into playlists.
- Create your own playlists, with your own videos.
Create & Optimize Your Google+ Profile
- Whenever you upload a video, you can have it auto-pushed over to your Google+ profile to get a few views more.
- Google uses your profile picture as your channel icon. Put up relevant and customized cover pictures.
- Use relevant keywords and link to relevant websites and social media profiles.
We hope to have cleared most of your doubts on YouTube optimization for musicians. Furthermore, feel free to get back to us through comments below if you’ve any more.SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER