There’s a new star in the music industry, which is the artist and the social network—thinking about Instagram? But, not too sure how can it benefit your business? Then you are at the right place. As we know, Instagram is a primarily visual platform with over 400 million monthly active users and over 75 million daily active users, according to the DMR.
That’s a massive number of eyeballs for famous music artists as well as young talents to grow over time. People are more attracted to visuals Instagram tells your story, discloses snippets of your creativity, and many more, without words.
Table of contents
- How to Make Money on Instagram as an artist?
- 6 ways for Musicians on how to make money on Instagram as an artist-
- How much money can you make on Instagram?
How to Make Money on Instagram as an artist?
To make money on Instagram, you need to develop your presence on this application. To make your profile more interactive, you need to understand the Instagram algorithm and then post accordingly. Everyone knows Drake, but if you came to know his social media swagger, then you will be amazed.
His Instagram account is @champagnepapi and has more than 90 million followers. With the data-driven strategy on Instagram, he has a huge fan base on this application. Also, he is one of the highest-paid celebrities due to his strong social network. He is an inspiration to many young aspiring artists. Know the complete guidelines for Social media marketing for music artists.
How to create an engaging content on Instagram?
Instagram is an easy-to-use and you don’t need any computer to post. If you are a musician, learn how to make money on Instagram as an artist and make good use of this app. All you need is a smartphone, a good camera, an internet connection, and a little inspiration. Just snap a photo, and you can edit it on Instagram itself. Add a captivating caption and some popular hashtags and there you go! Instagram is 100% of you only; you can share studio shots, behind-the-scenes shots, work in progress, and many more to gain popularity.
In addition to sales, many music artists get invitations to participate in shows and to perform in an event by your Instagram profile. To create an engaging post, never underestimate the power of hashtags. You need to research hashtags according to your niche and style. You should include:
- 10 hashtags with 10k-30k posts
- 10 hashtags with 30k-50k posts
- 10 hashtags with 50k-150k posts
If you spend time doing this hashtag research, you will get at least 200+ likes per post. More likes and comments, more the following. As we all know, to get bigger opportunities, followers are very important on Instagram.
6 ways for Musicians on how to make money on Instagram as an artist-
How to Make Money as an Artist on Instagram?
1. Attention to your Instagram post
You wouldn’t dream of letting any piece of music to the audience until you were satisfied with it, right? Well, in the case of Instagram, you need the same attention to your posts. The larger your following, the more eyes you have on your work. It is a visual representation of your music, so make sure that your every post is of high-quality images.
Who will buy any music album or concert tickets from a musician who doesn’t even pay attention to the presentation of his profile? Creative background and natural light are always good options when you capture pictures to post. You can use a tool Cubase Software to make engaging posts on Instagram.
The bio description space is the first thing visitors see when they come to your profile. Write something which targets and all your fans and add a link to your recent albums. Instagram permits you to put only one link in the bio section, you can use a service like Linktree to link to multiple pages. On Linktree, you can have the links of your social media accounts, your store, a direct link to the landing page where fans can buy music albums, right there in one place only.
You might not have realized, but companies might be willing to pay you a good amount to promote their products on your Instagram when your following becomes big enough. There are several ways to make money through collaboration. Learn how to collaborate with musicians, depending on what kind of music you make as per your specific music skills. Jambro, ProCollabs, AirGigs, Vampr, and many more applications and platforms are available for musicians to collaborate with.
Large brands also send free products to famous musicians so they can review and promote them. That’s the other way how do artists make money on Instagram. For promoting their products, musicians charge some fees. Since users crave transparency, all musicians with a decent following need to disclose the sponsored posts. Want to know the best part? You don’t need to have a solid following to start making money through sponsored posts and hence, it is not specified how much do Instagram artists make.
They pay attention to the engagement rate, so even big brands can work with young and aspiring music artists. To make money, young artists can be an influencer and leverage affiliate marketing links too. It works by sharing traceable links and promocodes in bio, stories, or posts and let brands track influencer referrals. The commission may range from 10-20% depending on your partnership.
3. Sell beats and samples
If you are a music producer or a music artist, you can sell your samples and digital beats on Instagram. It allows you to spend work hours making music, which also improves your work. You need to have engaging content and a larger following to sell your beats and samples on Instagram. It is a way how you can promote yourself on Instagram as an artist and earn money on Instagram.
Here are some tips to promote your beats on Instagram:
- If you are a music artist, then follow popular music producers to understand what they like and what type of beats are in trend.
- To increase visitors to your profile, repost images that get many likes or audiences may like to see it.
- Always add popular hashtags to your posts, your content will get grouped which will help to get discovered by new people and making new connections.
- To make sure you get more views, try to post at peak times on Instagram.
- Add a short description about your beats and offers on your Instagram bio. For example: Sign up for our mail list and get 3 FREE beats.
- Create and upload ‘behind the scenes’ video when you post your beats.
Follow these tips and learn how to make money as an artist online.
4. Switch to business account:
To promote your music and connect with your fans, the first a music artist should do is t convert into a business account on Instagram. It is exactly like a personal account plus some additional features like – create quick replies, analytics, schedule posts, access to Instagram insights and many more.
With an Instagram business profile, you can do the following things:
- Artists can add a contact button to your business profile. When somebody clicks on the button. They can set it up so that they can email, call, know your location.
- For making money as an artist, one can add links of his/her shows, events, or any music albums on your stories. You need to have 10,000 followers to have this feature on Instagram.
- Musicians can promote and advertise your posts to make a sale of your albums.
- Create Instagram shoppable posts with your business profile. Many popular music artists sell their CDs and merchandise online by this feature. They can tag their posts with products and when a user clicks on it, they are sent to a full description with a “Buy Now” button.
Instagram is all about love that you earn through engagement from followers. The more popular your account is on Instagram, the more in demand your art will be and will get art commissions on Instagram.
How many followers are needed to make money on Instagram?
Here’s how you can switch to a business account as a musician:
- Navigate to your Instagram profile and under account settings, you will see an option called “Switch to Business Profile”. Following this is one of the ways to earn money on Instagram.
- Then you will be asked to connect your Facebook page. Instagram will then ask for contact information such as phone number, email address or mailing address.
- Just like that you can set a business account and earn money on Instagram through sales.
- You can set your business account in ‘Musicians’ category.
5. Live Broadcast:
If any music artists want to diversify their income streams, then monetizing live streams is a good idea. In these worsening situations of Covid-19, you don’t have to travel anywhere to perform live on Instagram. You can reach to global audience right sitting at your home by just one click. If you keep at it consistently with genuine interactions with fans, the money will come.
Gig fans always win out over social media fans in terms of how valuable they are to your music career. You can do this through gig booking apps like and websites like ReverbNation Gig finder. To reach more audiences, artists can come live to interact also. Like for answering questions, playing games, to show behind the scenes and many more.
Artists can also earn extra income with the help of the Instagram Live badge. Fans buy a badge to show support, and it converts into earning. To see more monetization details, tap “watch” during your live video or go to the “Badge Settings” to see your total badge count after the live video ends.
Here is how you can turn on badges:
- Go to “Profile” and then “Professional Dashboard”. Then tap “Grow your Business” and then “Badges”
- Tap the “Badge” icon on the left side of your “Go Live” screen whenever you go live. Confirm, add a title, and then go live. Make sure you have entered your payout information, or you can also edit them in “Settings”.
6. Teach Music:
Not all musicians are after global superstardom. For some, training the next generation of artists is a bigger accomplishment. You can teach music or sell lessons on Instagram. Also, it will help young artists to grow and learn better.
First, you should find the musical instrument which is in trend or on which you are focused. Like guitar is always in trend and many young artists are eager to learn guitar from an experienced person.
Instagram holds a large audience, and you can teach any musical instrument or music on this platform. If your work is visuals-based, then this platform is perfect for you. You can work as a freelancer by uploading regular lessons on Instagram and after you gain popularity, you can also switch to paid lessons that will help you on how to make money on Instagram.
It will also help young artists if they need money for their album, all you need is to be unique and informative while teaching music on Instagram to reach a bigger audience. After learning, your students will also post on Instagram, tell them to share their experience in a tagged post to reach more people.
How much money can you make on Instagram?
Celebrities earn a lot just by posting on Instagram. Ariana Grande is the third most paid celebrity on Instagram with the estimate average price per post of $ 500,077-$833,461. Your income depends on your following, reputation, and growth on Instagram.
To know your estimated earnings, you need to calculate the engagement rate. It shows how much of your audience is active and no wonder that influencer prices and costs depend heavily on this metric.
No matter whatever your engagement rate is, you always have the room for improvement on Instagram. Brands also pays small accounts as well and give them a chance to grow. Micro-influencers with the highly engaged audience are more valuable than a famous celebrity. The main idea is to know your audience and promote your services in every way possible to increase your income through Instagram earning tricks.
So, how do you earn money on Instagram? Comment below.