DJ Abhishek Mantri is a famous DJ from Pune. He has been in the scene for over 2 decades and has seen the genre of EDM evolve in the country. He has released his new EP and its amazing. Let’s hear it from the artist himself about his journey as a DJ and his new EP!
1. Tell us about your journey as an artist? How did you start DJing?
I started DJing in 1998. It all started at 1000 Oaks, which happens to be one of the most iconic places in Pune. The journey has been beautiful as an artist! Of course, there were a lot of ups and downs in my journey, the first 9 years of my career were tough as an artist.
Pune was very different back then and now things have evolved so much. It has only gotten better!
2. Who or what is your inspiration when making a new song?
There is inspiration all around! A lot of artists have inspired me as I travel around a lot. I have interacted with a lot of artists in different cities & countries. But I would say Stan Kolev is someone who has inspired me a lot. He still does.
3. What has been the greatest or the most memorable experience for you so far?
There have been several moments but one of the most memorable moments for me would be when I opened for the Chainsmokers in 2016.
4. How is it like to be a DJ in Pune?
Things have changed a lot in career. Acceptance was difficult at the start, 22 years ago because it was something very new! But things have improved and it’s great being a DJ in Pune.
5. When not making music, where can we find you?
When I am not making music I am either out on road trips or cycling. I cycle every day, it’s like a getaway for me.
6. Tell us something about your new EP that is dropping this December.
So, the new EP is called Raven which is released under Lohit Records. It is inspired by Stan Kolev who is one of my favorite artists. This track has a very sunset vibe. Do check it out!
7. Are there any collaborations with artists in your EP?
It is in collaboration with RedLyne.
8. What are your plans for 2022, any exciting stuff coming up?
LOTS more music in store for the coming year.
In fact, we have 4 tracks which are completed and will be coming out in Jan 2022. I think that’s going to be one of the best tracks we’ve ever produced! So, look out for it. Plus, lots of travel. Hopefully!!! (If there more waves of this Pandemic coming.)
9. If not a DJ, what would have been your alternative career choice?
Wow! This is something that I never thought about honestly. This is all I’ve wanted to do since I was 16–17-year-old. I had a thought about joining the merchant navy back then, but I guess DJ’ing is something that really worked for me. Things really clicked for me in this career, and it took off really well.
10. Tell us about your new venture with Firefly club?
It’s a rooftop pool side bar, At Hotel Park Estique in Pune. We are keeping a deep and melodic vibe at this new bar
11. Pandemic has hit music industry in numerous ways, any advice for young artists who have just begun their journey in music?
This is the best time to do what you want to do. Making the most of the time you have, is the key!
There will be ups and downs but utilize this time you have. Study, research, do your homework about the industry, gain the knowledge you need to make things work for you. Take risks, venture out and explore new things!